Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Oven Pancake

     Barry and I attended Waldorf College in Forest City, IA. For the first two years we stayed at Tillie Rasmusson dorms. She was the cook for near fifty years serving homemade food. Everything by hand, everyday. When we ate at the cafeteria, the food was ok and Sunday nights were a little sketchy.  Now, Sunday mornings there was brunch and it was perfect for a hangover cause it was greasy! They made you omelets to order and you can bet there was bacon and cheese in mine. During our 4th year there, we decided to go to an auction a few blocks from our apartment. I don't remember what I wanted there, maybe furniture, but I got a box with a sewing supplies and other odd ends. The main thing that was in there was a Waldorf Cookbook. Being in apartment meant I had to cook for myself and couldn't eat at the cafeteria without paying, so I needed more food to make. Cheap food. Old time cooks books had that.
       When flipping through it, I came across the Oven Baked Pancake. It had 5 ingredients and made 2 pancakes. When it cooks, it kind of raises up the side of the pan leaving center like a bowl. A bowl waiting for goodness to fill it. I don't remember what we did the first time, but this time we used apples from my grandparents farm. We sliced them up and added some cinnamon and sugar to it and laid them out in a pinwheel fashion on top of the batter and let it bake. I debated whether or not to put syrup on it when it was done. So I tried a piece with it and without it and went with the syrup. I think Barry went without. Adding the apples was my idea so the recipe was inspired by the recipe of Carol Johnson. The recipe below is Carol  Johnson. Since it is a baking recipe you really can't go changing it. People are like "oh she's plagiarism", probably, but the recipe is so simple you can really make it your own and put whatever you like on it.







oh my

Makes 2 pancakes
9-inch round pan or pie pan, metal
18 minutes at 450 degrees, then 10 mintues at 350 degrees

3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp margarine

Place margarine in baking pans and place in the oven long enough to melt the margarine. Meanwhile, beat the other ingredients together until smooth. Pour the batter into the pan on top of the melted margarine. Bake. This pancake may be served with hot maple syrup; or melted margarine, powdered sugar and a lemon wedge; lingonberry sauce; or warm strawberry sauce. You can bake fruit into. You could spread any jam or jelly on it. Whatever you like, you could even make it savory since the pancake is on the plain side.
 recipe of Carol Johnson
Waldorf Auxiliary Cookbook, pg 57

No comments:

Post a Comment