Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Colossal Chicken

      I remember when growing up seeing this yellow cover cookbook. My mom had it, both my grandmas had it and I'm sure my aunts had it. I think one said the cover is missing. It is a massive cook book. I have mine in a magazine holder so it doesn't get damaged in the cupboard. The Recipe Roundup at Ramsey. My mom gets her banana bread recipe from it. My Grandma Ubben has submissions in it. I think hers is under Mrs. Harold Ubben. A lot of recipes are listed like that, if you look at the end of this entry you'll see this recipe is by Mrs Russell Sonnenberg.
      As weird as the ingredients are below, this actually turned out pretty good. I did change out some of the ingredients as I didn't have everything plus I wanted to use what I had.  I had leftover rotisserie chicken and green beans mom gave me. Try out, will probably make this again if I have left over chicken.



1 can chicken gumbo
3 tbsp butter
2 cups cooked green beans
1 cup diced cooked chicken
1/2 cup cooked onion
1 cup panko
1 cup cheddar cheese
Melt the butter and brown the onions. In the original recipe it calls for flour, but since I used chicken gumbo, it has okra and okra is a natural thickener.  Take a 2 quart casserole dish and layer the chicken and green beans. I used garden green beans and cooked them longer then I would if I was just serving them. Pour the sauce on top. Sprinkle the cheese  and then panko across the top. The orignal recipe called for chips, but I didn't have it and it also didn't call for cheese, like that would stop me.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Inspired by Mrs. Russell Sonnenberg recipe
Recipe Roundup at Ramsey pg 217

No comments:

Post a Comment