Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

I would like that with ice, please.


I wasn’t expecting the thunder storms this morning and neither was Jasper. I think he spent the majority of the night under the couch. When he did come out to visit, he slinked around ready to dash back under the couch.  We called him Slinky today. The weather/ice/rain also brought some changes to our weekend plans. Instead of having company, we just chilled. I got caught up on my YouTube subscriptions and we worked on our minecraft server. http://www.minecraft.net/. It also gave me the chance to edit my food pictures. The big thing was Barry and I tackled the recipe box, and it is now organized into categories. The categories include cake and frosting, cookies and bars, pies, desserts, beverages and snacks, poultry and fish, ham and beef, salads, and this and that.  I was surprised at how many baking recipes there were and that a lot of the recipes were the same. I’m not sure if Grandma remembered what recipes she had. I also saw some reoccurring food fads:  marshmallows, jell-o, crushed pineapple and cool whip/dream whip. I’m thinking they had a lot of church functions where everyone bought a dish and everyone wanted recipes of each. I was hoping for some more casserole dishes but instead ended up with quite a few canned pickle recipes. Everyone must have had their secret recipe for pickles. I was pleasantly surprised by what I’m going to call Heritage Recipes. They’re recipes that had family names on them that I recognized.  I think those are the recipes that I will start with even though most of them involve baking. Baking is not my forte, plus I have to decipher Grandma’s handwriting and fill in the blanks.  She also rarely marked the baking temps and times. It’s like she got the basics of the recipe and that was good enough. We sat there at the table trying to read these recipes out loud. It was rather humorous. This will truly be a food adventure.
I have two new entries that I will type up and send to my editor to correct. If anyone knows me from my college days, I do not like to edit. I’m also planning in my head more recipes this week. I need to go grocery shopping. These next set of entries will be from EveryDay Food March 2011. I don’t remember how I got onto to this subscription. I know my mother-in-law was getting them, oh maybe 4-5 years ago. I would have to look at them to see how far back I have them. I like to wait until I get a very good deal on them before I renew, I mean cheap cheap, plus a free gift never hurts. It’s a Martha Stewart Magazine but without Martha. They also have a show on PBS on Saturday mornings that I like to catch when it’s my weekend off. 
I’m still experimenting with the blog page. You might see things in different places when you come back or different fonts. I’m still learning and reading the tutorials and help pages. Let me know if you have questions or if I’m not clear on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment