Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cheese Enchilada Casserole



I usually adapt a recipe to what we have on hand or to our taste. This recipe for instance is no different. It calls for corn tortillas; I used floured, personal preference.  The cheese is Monterey Jack; I had cheddar cheese in the freezer. Barry did point out at the local Mexican restaurant that they don’t use cheddar cheese; they use Mozzarella to top everything.  I didn’t have any of the toppings for serving. I do like avocado and sour cream. I do not like cilantro. It tastes like dish soap to me. You might like it if you try it.  I do eat it if it’s in something like pico de gallo. 
Since it is meatless, the authors offer 3 sauces so it can be customized. I choose Tomato-Jalapeno Enchilada Sauce.  The sauce recipe calls for 1 jalapeno. I don’t have those nor do I want to buy them. Barry can handle some spice, and I can handle even less than that. What I do have is jalapeno jelly from a local gardener that I put in a lot dishes that have similar flavors like chili. I also didn’t have fresh thyme leaves, and I wasn’t about to buy them from the produce section either. I was confused as to why thyme was in the recipe anyway. What I did use for spices was chili seasonings and cumin. I love cumin.  It just adds a depth of flavor, and it smells so good when cooking with it.
The recipe also recommended using a blender but I got lazy and didn’t want to clean it. Barry got us a Cuisinart  Smart Stick Hand Blender. I like Cuisinart. I also own a Griddler by them too. I like it a lot.
Anyway, onto the sauce.  I chopped and put everything into a stock pot. I also included some garlic cloves. If you don't have cloves, don't worry about it. I happen to have plenty on hand. I'll save my garlic for another entry. I stuck in the hand blender and watched the magic happen. Which was just the blender chopping up the tomatoes. It didn’t do a thing to the onion and garlic.   After messing with it, I decided to put it on the stove top as is and added the vegetable oil.  
After everything came to a simmer and the onions soften,  I went back with the hand blender. It turned into a nice sauce. The hand blender did a great job and can't wait to use it this summer when I make tomato sauce and chili starter. Taste test until you get a sauce you’re happy with. You might have to add a little more salt or pepper or maybe some more sugar. Make it your own.  I just left the sauce in the pot because you’re suppose to dip the tortillas in the sauce. They have you pour a cup into the shallow wide dish. I suppose so you don’t dip your fingers into the whole sauce. You’re going to bake it so I didn’t see the need to dirty another dish.  It also has you use an 8x8 pan. There is no way you’re going to fit 8 flour tortillas into an 8x8.  Maybe the corn yes, but flour no. I had to squeeze those puppies in there.


When I had them all rolled up, note mine are not seam side down, I poured the rest of the sauce on top and covered.  I baked it for 10 minutes but it probably could have been in there a little longer. Once it was done, I put on the rest of the cheese and baked it until bubbly goodness. I might have cheated and used the broiler. The broiler is how you get those money shots you see in magazines.
Recipe:
·   1 ½ cups desired enchilada sauce
·   8 corn tortillas (or Flour tortillas)
·   2 cups shredded or crumbled cheese, such as Monterey Jack(or Cheddar)
·   Diced onion, avocado, chopped cilantro, cheese or sour cream (optional), for serving
Preheat oven 350 degree. While the oven is heating up, pour 1 cup sauce into a wide, shallow bowl. Working with one at a time, dip tortillas in sauce shaking off excess, then sprinkle ½ cup cheese down center. Roll tortilla around cheese and arrange, seam side down, in 8-inch square baking dish. Top with ½ cup sauce. Cover tightly with foil and bake until heated through, 10 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
Tomato-Jalapeno Enchilada Sauce
In a blender, combine 1 can (28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes, 1 cup diced white onion, and 1 jalapeno, quartered (seeded if desired). Puree until smooth. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper. In medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over high until shimmering. Add tomato mixture and simmer, stirring, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves, 1 teaspoon white  vinegar, and pinch of sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 4 days.) Makes 2 ½ cups.


As far as enchilada sauce goes, I liked this. I buy the stuff in the can and it either tastes funny or it's too spicy.  This a great way to control what you put in, specially the spiciness. Maybe later this  summer when peppers are ready to be picked I'll be brave and try a jalapeno, seeded and ribbed.I think also when cheese goes on sale I'll pick up a bag of Monterey Jack and try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment