Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Multi-functional Avocado

Avocados are another food that I have gotten to enjoy in the past couple of years. Linda made Guacamole with cream cheese for a party and we were hooked. The only thing is avocados are expensive around here; apparently they are cheaper on the west coast. Last week, they so happen to be on sale and I picked up a couple. Avocados are fruit grown on a tree and have a huge seed in it.  They are picked before ripened. You can ripen them at home by putting them in a brown paper bag and then put it in a dark place, like a cupboard. It can take a day or two for them to get soft. You cut them in half around the seed, twist and then pick out the seed; you then take a spoon scoop out the green flesh. What do you do with it now? Make guacamole. Actually you can do different things with it. I have grilled, leaving the skin on and brushing olive oil on the flesh part. I have cut them up and put it in salad. I have sliced them and put them in sandwiches. I have a recipe where you take soy sauce, garlic and ginger, mix it all up and pour it on the avocado or relish on soup. Health nuts brag about its nutritional value. Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. They also act as a "nutrient booster" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit. http://www.avocado.org/nutrition/ Avocados have a plain taste, it reminds me of potatoes. They don’t really taste good until you add flavor enhancements.  Mrs. Wages makes a seasoning packet that you just add two avocado, water or lime juice (I would go with lime juice), mix and let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes.  I added tomatoes, onions and some red bell pepper. My mom also made it as is and like my version better. She thought it toned it down a bit.  When you add lemon or lime juice to the avocado it keeps it from turning brown, like apples or bananas. I was told that the seed inside the avocado keeps it from turning brown.  I’ve added the seeds before to guacamole when I had to travel with it just to see if it would work. I thought it did for the most part, but it could be the lemon juice. Do some research and come up with your own recipe. The link I provided on the nutrition is the California Avocado website and they have recipes and other information that pertains to the avocado.  So stop being afraid to try the green fruit and add some healthiness to your diet.  Oh, and invite me over if you’re making guacamole.  I’ll bring some tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment